Monday, June 8, 2009

Cooking: Jamaican Jerk Beef Pastries

Well that sucks, I thought had more pictures of the cooking process for these pastries but I don't. At least you get an idea of what went into them. I actually made the meat mixture the night before so it had time to cool before I put them into puff pastry. I got this recipe from Gourmet magazine. Their recipe was actually for deep fried dumplings with won ton wrappers but I didn't want to fry anything (it's a pain in the ass) and I wanted them to be somewhat fresh when I brought them to a couple parties the next day.



Jamaican Jerk Beef Pastries
1 lb. of beef (I think I used 80/20)
4 tbsp of plain breadcrumbs
1 cup of chopped scallion
1/2 cup of chopped onion
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp of dried thyme
chili garlic paste (the actual recipe calls for Jamaican hot sauce but I couldn't find any)
4 sheets of puff pastry
egg white (to make the pastries golden brown on top)

Saute the scallion, onion, curry powder & thyme in some veg oil and season with salt and pepper until the onion is softened.

Stir in the beef and breadcrumbs until everything is combined thoroughly. Add the hot sauce and mix until combined.

Then you just let the mixture cool until you're ready to wrap them in puff pastry.

I would tell you the reaction of the people who devoured them but let's just say the tray I brought to the party was gone within the first 5 minutes. This happened with my BBQ pork puff pastries too. I bet it's the combo of meat in pastry that makes them so good. Or the love I put into cooking them heh.

No comments: