Monday, June 18, 2007

Cooking: Father's Day



Sunday was Father's Day and my sister hosted a BBQ at her swanky condo. I was massively hungover, but needed to get my butt up and meet my sister to help her get stuff prepared. I marinated some chicken breast in a coconut lime mixture the night before, so I grabbed that and drove over. (I can't believe I have the ability and drive to cook when I'm not sober hehe, that was an adventure in itself)

My parents arrived about an hour later bringing lots of other food. My mom is a foodie like me, so she made guacamole, home fried chips, chicken in garlic marinade and korean beef (ribs, but these weren't bone-in).

My sister made pasta salad and grilled zucchini and bell peppers. While she was grilling her veggies, I grilled my chicken. I suck at grilling, but the chicken came out very well and flavorful according to my guinea pigs. At one point, my sister's boyfriend asked what was in it. Instead of painstakingly listing them, here's the link.. http://www.barbecue-online.co.uk/barbecue-recipes/poultry/bbq_thai_lime_coconut_chicken.htm. Since my sister and I took care of the grilling, my dad busted out his skills, or lack there of, on Grand Turismo.



After we were done grilling, we started cooking up my mom's chicken and beef. All the meat took almost a good two hours to do, but it was worth it. Justyn arrived around 2:00pm to find that we were done cooking. We put the spread on the table and snapped pictures before diving in.


I bought my dad a couple books from Barnes & Nobles. He got Enders Game which is Justyn's favorite book and also short stories from my one of my dad's favorite authors. Arthur C. Clark or something like that. (I'm not into Sci-Fi so I don't know and I'm too lazy to google it)



For dessert, my sister and I unmolded some panna cotta that we made on Saturday afternoon. She wanted something light so I suggested we add vanilla and lemon to it. I did some research and found this recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/107943. My sister was so impressed with this recipe that she said it would be her signature dessert from now on. We had carefully strained the berry sauce and panna cotta mixture so there would be absolutely no lumps. I don't like dessert, but this was a fun one to make.



My sister took out some wine that she and her boyfriend had bought from the Napa trip and two bottles later, she was drunk. It was funny to see someone else take my place as the resident drunkard (OK, she's not, but it was still great) She also made some mango (or mungo as she likes to call it) iced tea which was very refreshing for such a warm day.



Overall, it was a lovely Sunday afternoon spent with loved ones. I just wish the weekend didn't go by so quickly!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your panna cotta and salad pasta looks simply delicious.

JadedOne said...

Awww thanks! :)