Sunday, May 13, 2007

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly of Traveling for Work: Day 1

So as the title of this post states, I had to travel to Westford, Ma for work this week. I’m currently sitting in my hotel room (which is more like a studio – super pimp as you’ll see) watching Mr. & Mrs. Smith. It’s 6:42pm on Monday evening. The sun hasn’t set yet which is good. Actually, it was perfect timing. I’m eating dinner and so are they (in the movie). That’s the best scene evar, IMO. It’s no wonder they hooked up after shooting the movie. Kinda makes me miss Justyn a whole lot more.

Anyway, I landed in Manchester, NH at around 8:00pm. I actually had to get a connector flight from Chicago, IL from San Jose. From San Jose to Chicago it was about a 4 hour flight. It went by OK, I napped a little bit and read my new book which Justyn got for me (The Man Who Ate Everything by Jeffrey Steingarten). Our flight had small snack boxes and drinks for $5 each. I got a Miller Lite and a snackbox which contained salami, crackers, chips, apple sauce (bleeech!) and cheese spread. I was hungover from the night before due to drinking with Angel & Justyn at Chi’s BBQ so needless to say my tastebuds were off and everything tasted gross. My neighbor who was seated to my right had a snack box which consisted of tuna, hummus, pita chips and cheese. It looked so much better than mine that I asked if I could take a picture of it. She laughed and asked if I was jealous. I was indeed.
After the snack, I took a nap again and before I knew it, I was in Chicago trying to find the correct gate to wait at. There’s a time difference in Chicago, so I figured it was about lunch time. Unfortunately, I was parched from the trip and I needed to get rid of my hangover. Even more so, all the bars were packed with other people so my only option was McDonalds. I opted for a cheeseburger and fries with a small Diet Coke. I ate some fries, had a couple bites of my cheeseburger and couldn’t stomach it. I felt like I was going to throw up. I threw the rest out and patiently waited for my flight to Manchester. Before we were called for seating, I purchased a bottle of water which I nursed on the way to my destination. The two hours from Chicago to Manchester felt like six. I was so tired of flying and ready to get to my hotel to sleep. I had to get up early to train someone.

We touched down in Manchester, NH and I needed to get to Westford, MA. In a rental car. Now most of you know, I am not good at directions. No matter how much Justyn has trained me to know where I’m going, I still don’t know. Even with printed directions and specific landmarks. Jeez. So here I am, still hungover and having to drive another 30-40 minutes to my hotel. I got lost. I didn’t know where I was. Luckily, there were always gas stations near by off an exit so I could ask where to go.

Eventually I made it to Residence Inn. Ahhh the glorious Christmas lights drew me in. I made it! I was so happy to be on solid ground where a nice bed waited for me. I didn’t get to the hotel until 10:00pm. I needed to pee really bad before I checked in so I did my business and asked the receptionist if there was anything open this late. Unfortunately, again there was nothing open so I purchased a Lean Cuisine (Chicken and broccoli penne pasta if you must know).

I hurried to my room dragging my luggage. I even contemplated skipping dinner because I was so exhausted. But I manned up and ate dinner, got ready for bed and watched TV until 12:00am.

No comments: