Monday, April 23, 2007

Cooking: Meaty Goodness Pies

Yeah... so the name's not so glamorous, but from a flavor standpoint, they're really really yummy. It's my second time working with puff pastry, so I was nervous about shaping the pies so they wouldn't leak. 4 out of 5 pies turned out good. The one cracked and leaked out all the good stuff inside.
The first thing I did was chop up an onion and a few cloves of garlic.



Brown the beef!



Add the onions, garlic and leftover sauce from the Irish Beef Stew.



Thaw the puff pastry.



Then have fun making shapes. I made half moons and Justyn played around with his more, making triangular and one rectangular pie.



I wanted the tops of the pies to be a nice golden brown, so I brushed the top with an egg wash. I also garnished with a sprinkling of paprika.



The pies baked for 10-15 minutes in a 400 degree oven. Then let it rest for about 5 minutes and serve. I'm really happy with the way this recipe turned out. The HP sauce complimented the pies very well. We even have leftovers for tomorrow's lunch! Mmm.....

No comments: