Monday, April 9, 2007

Cooking: British Foods

For breakfast on Sunday morning, Justyn made a British style breakfast. We had gone to the British store on Friday for canned haggis and Vegemite (both firsts for me), white blood sausage, crumpets and a couple meat pies. Justyn toasted up a couple crumpets and sliced and fried the sausage. I have to say that the first time I ever tried white blood sausage, it wasn't very good. In fact, I hate sausage. But this stuff was good. It was tender, juicy and packed with tons of flavor.
After breakfast, Justyn went on a ride with our neighbor/friend. I was still a little hungry, so I decided to try Vegemite. I toasted up another crumpet and spread vegemite all over it. Gross! The Vegemite tasted really salty and like a really funky cheese. Never again please!
For Easter dinner, I wanted to make Scotch Eggs for Justyn. I also whipped up a quick batch of green onion and sour cream mashed potatoes. Everything else we microwaved since it was already prepared. For the eggs, I hardboiled them for about 10 minutes and then shocked them in ice cold water to prevent the green ring around the yolk. Then I wrapped the eggs in breakfast sausage and dredged them in a garlic herb breadcrumb mixture. Unfortunately, when we deep fried them, some of the sausage tore and exposed the egg. The recipe I used said to fry them for 4-5 minutes at 350 degree oil. We were careful to get the oil at the right temperature, but the outside browned very quickly and the inside sausage meat wasn't getting cooked. A couple refries later and the outside got very dark almost burnt brown and the inside was cooked. I'm sure next time we'll get them golden brown like the pictures I saw when I googled recipes, but this batch was OK. Other than the discoloration on the outside, it was pretty rich and tasty. I could only bear to eat a quarter of mine though. Justyn bought some frozen brussel sprouts and Boddington's beer to go along side of dinner.


No comments: