Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Superbowl Weekend

Originally Posted on 02/04/07
Friday night, Justyn had some work to finish at home so I decided to go to one of my favorite Chinese restaurants for some take-out (Hand Pull Noodles). When I called the order in, they said it would be a 20 to 25 minute wait. So in the meantime, I watched Restaurant Makeover to pass the time. Half way through the show, Justyn tells me I really need to leave. I tell him that it's probably not even close to being done. About ten minutes, later he bugs me again. I say to him "I'm going to be mad at you if it's not ready yet." and leave. When I got there the restaurant was packed with dine in customers and there was already a line for people that were checking on their take out orders. It ended up taking me 15 minutes to get my food. I got home and Justyn says "Oh, were they busy?". I just gave him a dirty look. Dinner was OK this time. I think the chef was rushing to push out as many plates as possible in a short amount of time. The hot braised shredded beef had a starchy consistency when I chewed. The braised tofu was tasteless. The only decent thing was the house pan fried crispy noodles. Oh well, note to self, don't order on a Friday night.
Later on that evening, Ken and Donoho came over for drinks. For some reason I wasn't tired at my normal time of turn in (8:00-9:00), so I ended up hanging with them until around 1:00. Justyn was exhausted so he went to bed early. Donoho left around 1:30 or so and Ken hung out until 2:35. That was a nice chill night. We watched Jackass which I haven't seen in a long time.

The next morning I woke up and decided to go shopping with my sister. We went to Bed Bath & Beyond where I got a new Rachel Ray casserole pot. I've always wanted an enamel cast iron pot to make various different stews. It was only $70 and I had $100 worth of gift cards. I also got a champagne bucket and a couple flutes for Valentine's Day (I'm making dinner for Justyn). We also went to Oakridge to go to my favorite store Metro Park. I ended up getting a scarf and a sweater. After that we went to Borders to pick up the French Laundry Cookbook since I had a $25 gift card. (I got tons of gift cards for my birthday - thanks to Angel, Wease, V, JTT & Cherie) My sister and I were supposed to go to Albertson's after that to get groceries for Superbowl, but she decided she'd go the next morning. Instead, Justyn and I went to the store and got everything we needed. That was pretty much how I spent my Saturday.

Today is Superbowl Sunday! I'm making bratwurst stewed with sauerkraut, a recipe that I saw on Food Network a long time ago. This is my third time making it. The first attemptturned out really good, the second was mediocre, so we'll see how things turn out this time. I'll post the recipe at the bottom for those of you who are interested. Right now, the whole thing's stewing for 45 minutes.

First I prepared all the ingrediants. 2 onions sliced, 3 cloves of garlic minced, 2 tbsp of dill chopped, beer & chicken stock opened.


Here's my new pot!


Sauerkraut & bratswursts


Browning


I took the brats out and added a little more oil. In go the onions and garlic. I let them caramelize before adding a bottle of New Castle beer.


Next I added the drained sauerkraut, paprika, carraway seeds, brats & chicken stock.


I set the timer for 45 minutes on the microwave.


Justyn took over for the bun part of it. He slathered the buns in a garlic butter mixture and stuck them under the broiler until they were nice and golden brown.


Serve with deli mustard and enjoy! YUMMAY!


After we ate, Donoho and I tried some Ethiopian honey wine and Korean pomegranite boozy type drink. Both were really sweet, but good. The honey wine was stronger than I had anticipated. It kinda mirrored Port wine, but it was white. Neato...



We also had some potato salad and my sister made a 7 layer chip dip for snacking. Justyn and Dan just finished their dessert which were ice cream cones. Donoho is at Road Rider to get a rainsuit and I'm about to get up for another beer. So far the game's been suprisingly interesting. It's a good Sunday...

No comments: