Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Richard Cheese in Vegas

The only celebrity I follow on Facebook is Richard Cheese and a while ago there was an updated posted that he would be doing a show in Las Vegas. We had seen him once in San Francisco and now was our chance to see him again. Justyn and I always said that if he ever performed in Las Vegas, that we'd go.

We booked a two night stay at Palace Station hotel. Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures of the room before we messed it up but here's a view from our window. We got to stay in a nice suite on the 18th floor which was nice. I'm not a fan of the $15 a night charge in the fine print but oh well.



The first night and the day of the concert, I had forgotten my phone in the room so the only pictures I have are the day after. The show itself was pretty tame considering it was in Las Vegas and Richard Cheese was a lot more fun to watch in SF. We still had fun regardless. We had reserved a booth and the usher let us sit by ourselves since part of the stage was blocked off by the wall. We felt like high rollers having a booth to ourselves meanwhile everyone else was crammed together on crappy seats and boothes.

The next day we went to the Wynn for a buffet brunch. I'm not a fan of buffets and never have been but this was by far the best I've ever had. Some things were better than others such as the flank steak. It was juicy and perfectly cooked. The pickled herring was also decent. I think it would've been better if it were cold instead of room temperature though.



Thai beef salad, BBQ rib (not actually smoked or anything and rather bland), pulled pork on a fluffy cornbread topped with coleslaw, green bean stir-fry with beef, pad thai (bland), grilled mahi mahi with pineapple relish, flank steak, eggroll, potsticker, a bit of hashbrowns that Justyn gave me, pickled herring.



For the second round I got smoked duck salad, cheese pizza, more flank steak, pasta w/ shrimp, kimchee, tuna hand roll (gross), California roll, veggie roll and squid ceviche.


For dessert Justyn got an assortment of desserts. I can't remember exactly what he got but an honorable mention was the bread pudding. It was very custardy and served hot from the oven. I opted for a Snickerdoodle & a Bailey's panna cotta (blech).



We spent the rest of the day hanging out in our hotel room relaxing. Towards the afternoon and evening we played blackjack. I don't remember how long we played for but it quickly turned from noon to night. Since we gambled so much, I asked the pit boss if he could comp our meal at the Oyster Bar. I still haven't found out if the meal ever got comped but we charged it to our hotel room so we'll see.. Earlier while we were lounging in the room, I was watching an episode of Man vs. Food where he visited a place specializing in BBQ'ed shrimp. That instantly made me crave some seafood so I went on Yelp to see where the best seafood place was. The Oyster Bar jumped out with nearly a perfect 5 star rating. I remembered passing by the Oyster Bar the day before so that's how decided we were going there for a late dinner.



We ordered a bowl of clam chowder, oysters & etoufee. Everything was fantastic albeit the etoufee was extremely spicy. Justyn reminded me that I ordered it that way despite me having no memory of it heh. The food definitely lived up to the high rating on Yelp and I would be more than happy to pay for a meal there any day.


Needless to say that I'm thankful to be home and for bay area weather. The coolest temperature it got in Las Vegas was 90 something!

No comments: