Saturday, February 27, 2010

Japan Trip: Yokohama's Chinatown

At this point I'm sure you can guess that I was seriously craving some Chinese food. Well, not really but I could sure use some kind of comfort other than Japanese food. Justyn decided to take me to Yokohama's Chinatown which is about 40 minutes from Shinjuku by train. We didn't really have anything in mind until we got there. I saw a bunch of pork bun stands and I knew before we went back to the hotel, that I would absolutely have to have one of them. Before that, we needed to get lunch. We ended up settling on a noodle shop which featured hand carved noodles which suprisingly, I had never had before. It was decent but did not quench my hunger for Chinese food. We ended up getting a bun from a local shop but to my dismay, it was a sweet bun. Stupid me.. I wanted to be adventurous and try a bun that I didn't recognize. It was filled with black bean paste which I despised. Ugh... Oh well..



The funny thing about this picture is that Justyn crossed the street so that he could get a shot of me posing in front of the archway into Chinatown. Little did I know that a truck was trying to make a left turn and almost ran me over!



PS - On the way to Chinatown we stopped at the Shibuya station which is on the way to snap this photo. If you don't know the story, it's about a guy who died and the dog he owned kept waiting everyday at the train station for its master. The Japanese built a memorial for the dog since they were so impressed with the dog's loyalty to its master. Before this picture was taken, a couple Japanese teens were trying to tell us to take their picture and though we couldn't understand what they were saying, we ended up understanding what they meant so we took a picture for them. It was a very lost in translation kind of thing.

No comments: