Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Leftover Cooking: Irish Pastries and Soup

I had a ton of leftovers from my Irish Weekend cooking, so what better way to use up some of it than to fill some puff pastry and re-heat the soup? I simply put the leftover broth from the Corned Beef & Cabbage, which consisted of a bottle of Guiness and beef broth, into a pot. While that was re-heating on low, I got to work on my puff pastry.

The puff pastry has to defrost for about 40 minutes before you can work with it, but once that's done, you can have fun with it. I cut out 6 circles from 3 sheets of puff pastry and filled them with a couple chunks of beef stew with a tiny bit of sauce. I also mashed up some corned beef with my fingers and topped it with half a slice of swiss cheese for variety. Once the puff pastries were filled, I beat up an egg and sealed the pastries and folded them over to make half moon shapes. I poked holes on top and then sealed them by using a fork for the seams. Egg wash on top and then you're done! They baked in my oven at 400 degrees for 13 minutes, but in retrospect, I should have baked them at 350-375 because my oven was way too hot. Most of the puff pastry pockets were a little burned on top.

Here's the end result and I tell ya.. they were so good, Justyn devoured them like a starving beast haha! We still have a couple left and I was supposed to bring them into work for lunch today, but I forgot them at home! Oh well, I guess we'll have them for dinner!
This picture is special. Can you spot my little project in the works? Hee hee...

No comments: