Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Cooking: Thai Halibut w/ Peanut Coconut Sauce

I told you all that I would try and cook more. So as promised, here it is. Every weekday I wake up, there's really nothing for me to look forward to since it's either work, work and working out, or more work. The only exception is Wednesday because that's when the local newspaper prints their Food & Wine magazine. Hurray! I'm always flipping through the newspaper to find recipes that I may want to make. Today, I found the recipe that I wanted to try. I have this obsession with Thai food so the recipe name immediately grabbed my attention. Thai Tilapia w/ Peanut Coconut Sauce.

Alright, just to see if you were paying attention, I did in fact say Tilapia. Our local grocery store, didn't have any. However, as a good fish monger (haha, Lucky does not have fish mongers, just people who sling fish) I think you should know what Tilapia can be substituted with. And just so you know, I did do my research ahead of time to see what could be but they didn't have anything that looked good except for Halibut. So Halibut it was. (Wow, that was a long run on sentence)

So I got home with my ingrediants and cooked the rice to start. I deviated from the recipe because I wanted more pop to the dish. The one on the internet, didn't look that appealing. Additionally, I like the way red bell pepper and green onion looks on a plate. I also washed the Halibut, dried it and seasoned both sides with salt and pepper.



Then I mixed the light coconut milk with the satay peanut sauce while a non-stick pan heated on medium.



When the pan was hot, I added the seasoned Halibut and seared both sides for 3 minutes each. Mm, carmelization...



After the Halibut was done, I oiled the pan a little more and put in a huuuuuge bag of spinach. They sauteed until almost wilted before I added the coconut peanut mixture. I tasted the sauce and felt it was a little on the bland side so since I had extra limes from the weekend, I squeezed half a lime and added some Srirachi sauce. Much better.



I used my new white plate (yah I'm still jazzed about it) and plated the spinach and Halibut. Then I popped on some white rice I shaped with a chawan (Japanese rice bowl). Sprinkle some green onion and diced bell pepper and you're ready to go. How's it look?



Here's the recipe: http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_8311980?source=rss

4 comments:

Hamster said...

If you are obsessed with Thai cooking Yu might be interested in this website.
www.thaifoodtonight.com
It's got about 30 recipes each one with a cooking video to go along

JadedOne said...

hamster - Thanks for the rec.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this peanut coconut sauce and the use with the fish. I've made a sauce similar to this before, but never thought of using it on fish. I've always just used it on noodles. Thanks!

JadedOne said...

Thanks for stopping by White on Rice Couple. Your blog is pretty :)