Monday, September 24, 2007

My Dad's Birthday Dinner

It was such a busy weekend and after setting up everything for Justyn's party and hanging out with everyone, I was pretty pooped late Saturday night. I retired early and went to bed aka passed out. I can't sleep as much as I used to, so I woke up at around 8am Sunday morning. I played a little bit of GTA III when Justyn and Donoho went out for breakfast.

At around 11am, Justyn and I got ready to head over to my parents house to have dinner. I thought my mom was going to make paella so I thought proscuitto wrapped asparagus would go good with it. When we got into Castro Valley, we stopped at Safeway to get groceries first.

When I got to my parents house, I found out that my mom was instead making a huge seafood feast complete with lobster, crawfish, clams, prawns and crab!



As she was still cooking, Justyn and I went to the backyard to find the old wooden deck completely gone, and a new concrete and brick foundation instead. It looked really good with my mom's new patio set. Isn't the view pretty too?



We set up to eat outside overlooking the amazing view, but there were a lot of hornets buzzing around the seafood, so we had to relocate inside. We ate so much great seafood and savory sticky rice that I almost went into a food coma. We also had some great white wine and champagne to compliment the meal.



Here are before and after shots.



After dinner, we talked about life and stuff and then my sister made some fried milk. There was a little too much nutmeg in it, but it was still very good.



Too much food and too much sipping made me extremely tired. We ended up leaving my parents house around 9pm. When we got home, we tried watching the new Family Guy episode, but I just couldn't keep my eyes open any longer.

What a weekend!

8 comments:

KellytheCulinarian said...

Man, what a feast!

JadedOne said...

KM - Seriously, we were stuffed after that meal hehe.

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Whoa to both feasts. Your parents' patio looks very nice! How does one make fried milk? I've eaten sauteed milk but that was mainly egg whites, those look like they're breaded?

JadedOne said...

WC - My sister says it was a combination of milk, cornstarch, nutmeg which was refridgerated to allow the mixture to set. Then she cut it into squares, dredged it in an egg mixture and panko breadcrumbs.

I dunno which recipe she used, but here's a similar one:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1813,149177-252195,00.html

Anonymous said...

Woo...I want to tuck into that seafood platter too!

Anonymous said...

wow! what a great feast! Your parent's got a very nice view indeed.

eeks! Hornets! They love chicken and every summer whenever we have chicken outside, they are definitely there as well.

Rasa Malaysia said...

Delicious delicious. I love seafood so those lobstes and shrimp and clams were calling my name I heard them. LOL. ;)

JadedOne said...

TigerFish - Come with us next time! Even with 5 people we couldn't finish everything hehe. Luckily, I got some leftover sticky fried rice to take home though!

TCN - I hate those damn bugs. It was such a great backdrop for this meal! Ah well...

RM - Thanks for dropping by! I love your blog! :) I actually invited my friend to come with me but she declined. Once she figured out we were eating a seafood feast, she was kicking herself for not coming!