Friday, July 6, 2007

Cooking: Braised Salmon Steaks with Fennel and Thyme

I'm not exactly sure why this recipe says that the salmon is braised because technically speaking, it isn't. Anyway... here's what I made for dinner tonight. I especially wanted to do this recipe because I'd never had fennel nor have I cooked with it before. Something new!

I chopped up some fennel I had leftover from the Donkay Awards and an medium yellow onion.



Then I peeled and chopped up some thyme.



Wash and pat the salmon steaks dry and then season.



Saute the chopped fennel and onion in some olive oil and season. Then add half the chopped thyme.



I buttered a pan and added the softened fennel mixture. The salmon steaks went on top of that and I covered everything with foil. The pan went into a 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.

Here's what came out. I served it with some rice pilaf. It was pretty tasty but Justyn said it lacked texture. Everything was pretty soft and he would have preferred to have the salmon pan fried rather than baked. I dunno... either way I enjoyed it. Fennel is a great thing to cook with and lends its flavor well to fish.



Recipe: http://www.chefdecuisine.com/seafood/salmon/BRAISED_SALMON_STEAKS_WITH.asp

No comments: