Friday, June 22, 2007

Review: Senzala (Brazilian Restaurant)



OK, most of you may associate Brazilian with the churrascaria restaurants. You know, the places where hueg skewers of meat are served to you tableside? (Espetus in San Francisco comes to mind) This place is not like that. Senzala is a restaurant that's located in a tiny strip mall on Java Rd. It's dead center amongst a bunch of business parks. One of which is where I work. It's walking distance from Justyn's work so it was the most convenient restaurant we could think of that served up different food than what we normally eat. We've been to this place before when it was Java St. Cafe which wasn't very good. One other time, we'd been to Senzala and it was only OK. This time when we went, I was impressed. They increased their portion size (which isn't a good thing when you're trying to lose weight, but whatever, bring on the gluttony!) and the grilled meats were actually made to order. Again, Justyn ordered skewered meat and I had their stroganoff. I know what you're thinking. Isn't stroganoff a Russian dish? That's what I thought too, but then again, what's wrong with meat stewed in gravy served on top of white rice and french fries? Absolutely nothing.



We waited about 10 minutes for Justyn's entree to be cooked up and served and my tummy was growling. The french fries on my dish were kinda soggy and not freshly fried, but I like them mushy so that worked out. I had to add salt to the assorted veggies that came with my dish though. Justyn gave me a taste of his beef (lulz) and it was sort of dry. I told him what I thought and he said that his first bite was really tender and juicy so he gave me another taste. This time the meat was really tender and juicy just like he had said. His dish also came with a fried plantain and fried (we think) parsnips. If you remember my post Girls Night Cooking, you'll know how much I loved my first experience with them. So goooood. Again, I wanted to trade dishes, but mine was good enough. I could only cram half of the plate down since the portion was so big.

This is an OK lunchspot if you're in a hurry and work around this business area. Everything is served cafeteria style and there are lunch specials posted when you get in line. You may get a sense that you're being herded like cows, but it's a whole lot better than eating at your work's cafeteria unless you work at Google or Cisco.





Senzala
250 E Java Dr.
Sunnyvale, CA 94089

No comments: