Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Review: Chef Liu Restaurant

On Monday for lunch we decided to go to Chef Liu Restaurant which was recommended by Donoho and Jason. After a week of traveling, I was ready to hit up Castro St. for some really good food. As usual, we arrived before the busy lunch crowd and were immediately seated. The restaurant itself is modest with this icky yellow painted walls that Justyn thought was weird.

The waitress was an older lady which I could only assume was one of the owners. She brought us some waters. The lunch menu was already at the table when we sat down. I have a recipe clipping from a newspaper a while back for Dan Dan Noodles which I haven't tried yet. The menu listed something similar called Tan Tan Noodles, so I ordered that. Justyn got the walnut prawns with rice. We also ordered some tea which never came, but whatever.

The portion size for the noodles was huge so I was glad that they provided bowls for the both of us. Justyn's walnut prawns were really good. I wouldn't say they're the best I've had, but they were damn close to it. The Tan Tan Noodles at first glance appeared to be really peanut buttery, but once I tasted it, it had good balance of savory flavor to go with the peanuty texture.

Overall, I was impressed with the restaurant. It seemed authentic enough for a second visit. Until next time....


Chef Liu
236 Castro St.
Mountain View, CA 94041

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thks for your recommendations. Next time when I'm near Castro, I could give this a try ;p