Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Review: Bangkok Spoon

Originally Posted on 02/12/07

A while back, Justyn and I went to lunch in Downtown Mountain View. This area is one of our favorite lunch spots to hit because of the variety of cuisines. From Italian to Vietnamese to Thai to Greek. It pretty much has whatever you're craving. On this particular day (I can't remember the date), I was hungry for Thai. There are two other Thai restaurants located on Castro Street which are decent and because we tried those two before, we decided to try a different one. Enter Bangkok Spoon. This place is located off the main street and I'll post the address.






Since we were super hungry, we ordered the fish cake appetizer which came with a sweet and perfectly spicy sauce. The fish cakes were seasoned expertly and we enjoyed this dish a lot. The crunch of the cucumbers in the sauce offered a nice contrast in textures with the cakes.



Along with our lunch entrees we were given a vegetable soup which I have had before at other Thai restaurants. I really enjoyed this particular soup because it had a nice background flavor that I can't put my finger on. This looks easy enough to make, so maybe I'll try to make it sometime.






When we were finished with our appetizer and soup, our entrees quickly followed. Justyn ordered the beef curry (I think) and I had the duck fried rice. Both our lunches came with an egg roll which was really short compared to what I'm used to (no pun intended) and they weren't very good. When I dove into the rice, I forgot all about the egg roll. It was sooooo good. A bit on the oily side, but what do you expect when you order duck right? I almost finished all of it, but I got really full 3/4 of the way in. Justyn helped me finish it. He enjoyed his dish as well, but I suspect it wasn't spicy enough for him. I rarely see Thai dishes prepared "extra hot" the way he wants it. I think the chefs are afraid that "real Thai spicy" would be too much for him to handle. Anyway.. here are the entrees.






I give this place a 8.5 of 10. Definitely give it a try if you're in the area. By no means have I tried real Thai cuisine, but this is really good.


Bangkok Spoon
702 Villa St.
Mountain View, CA 94041

No comments: