Monday, October 18, 2010

Cooking: Healthy Lemongrass Chicken & Noodles

I really needed to go back on my diet after this weekend's indulgences. I managed to eat an entire thing of Panda Express (chow mein, veggies, beef & chicken), had my way with beverages... I was really thirsty for some reason and didn't really do anything except for helping Justyn clean up the garage a bit. Since I was "bad", I decided to go back on my diet and hardcore it this week. I had some yogurt and a Subway breakfast sandwich for breakfast, for lunch I had a frozen food and for dinner I decided to make some lemongrass chicken with noodles. It's not a very authentic recipe but the varying flavors were all there. Justyn thorougly enjoyed it. I was barely 1/4 of the way done with my dinner when he had already inhaled his plate. He also said I could make him this dish anytime, he enjoyed it so much.

So here's the recipe and accompanying photo.

Lemongrass Chicken and Noodles

2 tbsp peanut oil
1 chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
4 medium scallion(s), green and white parts, chopped
2 tbsp grated lemongrass (I used store-bought tube form instead of fresh)
4 medium garlic clove(s), minced
1 cup(s) fat-free chicken broth, reduced-sodium
2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 lime zested
1 lime juiced
1 tbsp Sriracha
1/2 package of spaghetti cooked
1/2 cup(s) cilantro, leaves, fresh, coarsely chopped

Mix the broth, soy sauce, lime juice, lime zest and Sriracha together in a bowl.

In a cast iron pan, add the peanut oil and heat on high. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown on all sides.

Add scallion, lemongrass and garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute or until fragrant.

Add the mixture from the first step and simmer for about 4 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

Add the mixture to the drained spaghetti and mix until combined. Then serve.

No comments: