Saturday, February 27, 2010

Japan Trip: Tsukiji Fish Market

The next day we were (or should I say Justyn) was comfortable enough to plan our first trip using the train system. It was a straight shot there which meant we wouldn't have to transfer trains. I was quite proud we made it there without any real complications. Although when we got to the actual fish market there was so much traffic from all the vendors and buyers hustling around. There were so many times where we almost got ran over!

When we finally found the tuna auctions which were not as exciting as what I've seen on TV. Unfortunately we only caught the tail end of one but that was enough. We walked around for a bit, soaking in all the stunning seafood along the maze of alleyways.


My stomach was growling and we went on the search to find breakfast. I didn't know that what we would find would be our best meal on the trip. We stopped by a tiny shop crowded with hungry people. It seemed that this particular shop specialized in fried foods such as katsudon and aji fry. I was in heaven. The fried fish was perfectly crispy on the outside and the fish remained tender and juicy on the inside. All I needed was a squeeze of lemon and the dish was perfection. Justyn also commented how his katsudon was delicious. I ended up trying a piece of the pork cutlet and got a fatty piece so I didn't think it was all that.


After breakfast (yeah, we ate fried food for breakfast, so what? we were on vacation), we walked around the nearby shops before heading back to the hotel for a nap.

I'm going to include this in the same post because we ended up going back to the nearby restaurants of Tsukiji market in search of some good sushi. Unfortunately, it was not as good as I thought it'd be. In fact, the conveyor belt sushi in Shinjuku proved to be much better..

No comments: