Friday, February 26, 2010

Japan Trip: Flying to Narita Airport & Checking In

We left on Feb 16th and flew into Japan from SFO. Below are pics of our last American breffus. I had a ham, cheese & egg sammich on sourdough bread and Justyn had a couple rolls. Boring I know.. just you wait.
On the flight there we were served bland and barely edible food but the great thing was that I upgraded our seats to Economy Plus on United so we had more leg room and got all-you-can-drink booze. Now that's the way to go, especially for a long flight.
What's great about Japan is that you can set up a bus to pick you up from the airport and drop you off at your designated hotel. We stayed at the Hotel Sunroute Plaza in Shinjuku. The people at the front desk were extremely helpful and spoke English. The room itself was small but I didn't expect a large room. Who needs an over-the-top room when all you're gonna do is just sleep and shower in it? There was sooo much stuff to see.. We were pretty beat after the hour bus ride into Shinjuku so we ended up getting dinner at a ramen shop located right next door to the hotel. I had been telling Justyn that I wanted our first meal in Japan to be ramen, and my wish came true. It was just what we needed before bed time. Unfortunately I didn't bring my camera so I don't have pictures of it.. but trust me when I say it was the best ramen we had on the trip.

The next morning we went to the AM PM (Yeah! They have AM PMs there!) to do a bottled water run and picked up breakfast. Now, I know what you're thinking... breakfast at AM PM? Gross? No way... they have hot steamed buns, rice balls, odd flavored chips (such as pizza) and a bunch of other awesomeness. Little did I know how handy the AM PM would be. We must've gone there every day to pick up random things.



Oh yeah! AND it snowed. I wasn't able to sleep much due to the time difference so I woke up at 3:00am and saw snow. It was so pretty. Funny story about the snow too.. We were watching the local morning TV show and the weather commentary guy was filming the snow right outside of the Shinjuku train station which was about a couple blocks from our hotel. Since we had to get our train passes, we decided to see if we could find him and the camera guy. We ended up finding them and watched them interview people. The commentator kept on looking at us and waved his camera guy to point the camera at us. I'm pretty sure we got on TV! We were kinda nervous about him interviewing us next and since we didn't speak any Japanese, we ran away.

Anyway... onto Day 3 next :)

No comments: