Monday, July 16, 2007

Review: Satsuma Sushi


It seems like forever since I've done a lunch review. Justyn and I keep going back to places that we know are good. Since that's the case, we just haven't tried anything new until today. Justyn spotted this place while walking around in a shopping center on El Camino.
When we walked it, I immediately noticed the cool Japanese art hanging on the walls and sushi bar that looked brand spanking new. I really liked the decor of the restaurant. Everything was clean and modern looking. Again we were one of the first patrons before the lunch rush so we were immediately seated. They yelled the traditional Japanese welcome when we walked in very loudly. Their menu had an impressive sushi selection which took up three pages. The last page had bento box and noodles. I ordered a bento box with California rolls and shrimp tempura which would also come with salad and miso soup. Justyn ordered the same thing he always orders when we eat Japanese food. Katsu-don. Hey, I like the stuff too, but jeez try something new ya know? While we waited for our food to arrive which took a while considering there was only one other table with customers, (That's my only gripe) I noticed that they had a TV near the sushi bar. Guess what was on? Food Network! Sweet! I was starting to like this restaurant even more. Unfortunately the sound was muted so I watched The Next Food Network Star in silence.
About 10-15 minutes later the restaurant started filling up and our food arrived.
Here it is..
Looks good huh? It was! The bean sprout "appetizer" had a pleasant rice vinegar taste. I assume they pickled the bean sprouts, carrot and cucumber. Justyn said it was a little too sour, but I enjoyed it. The miso soup had a clean finish, unlike other places where you could tell that the miso soup was in powder form before hot water was added. I suspect it was made from scratch. My bento box was delicious! Cali rolls, shrimp tempura, rice, salad and even a complimentary potato croquet drizzled with a little tonkatsu sauce. I was full half way through lunch, but I kept on eating because it was so good. Justyn's katsu-don was really yummy too. This place was a decent spot for Japanese lunch and after being disappointed last week by another place, this was a relief. We paid about $24 which included tip for the both of us which isn't that bad.
Satsuma Sushi
705 E El Camino Real
Mountain View, CA 94040

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmm...tempura, sushi...I have to go to Paris soon to get this.

JadedOne said...

Paris.... tempura... sushi? Make sure you take pictures and post it on your blog. I'd love to see a Parisian take on Japanese food. :)