Saturday, February 27, 2010

Japan Trip: Yakitori

During our trip we hit up a couple yakitori places. "Yaki" basically means grilled and "Tori" means chicken. We have restaurants local to us here that serve it but it's super expensive. Why? I have no idea. It's just chicken and not even the good parts at that. I was looking forward to having cartilage and chicken skin but the first place we went to had no idea what I was talking about. So instead we just had their combo plate with some pork stomach stew. Don't wrinkle your nose at that. It's good. It didn't taste gross or unpleasant. In fact I kinda wish I had eaten that with a bowl of rice instead of having yakitori. Our meal started with some gobo root salad, followed by the pork stomach stew, fried tofu smothered in teriyaki sauce & finally yakitori. Delicious...



I couldn't leave Japan without having yakitori one more time. I wanted to visit the Ginza district that had a yakitori alley but we ended up being lazy and visited another near by yakitori restaurant. This one was less impressive than the first although it was still decent. I suppose we weren't really hungry enough or something.

No comments: